A Eulogy for my Father.


I’ll start my discourse by quoting a verse from 2 Corinthians 5:8 “we are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.”

Losing our father, is one of the most difficult moments we have all gone through.  As I am standing up here today, I realize how fortunate I am to have him as my Father.  There are no words to express his influence in each and everyone’s lives gathered here today. It is through his examples that I learned to be a stronger, independent and a better mature individual that I am today.


My Dad was hardworking  strong, loving, and gentle. He loved his family and was deeply devoted to my mother and three siblings. Every time he comes home from his very tiring and demanding work, he never fails to bring us food like balot, lechon manok, ice cream, chocolates, and I even requested skimmed milk because that's my favorite. He never failed to disappoint us. He had always shown us good values. We grew up with fears on him, fear that when we disrespect him, he will scold us and teach us that respect to parents is very essential to be in a happy and well-bonded family.


The way he challenged me to face life was different. For some parents, they will say like “do whatever you want to do and I will support you with everything." When I decided to go to Manila to look for a job, he said “kanang style nimo nga mumata ug dugay sa buntag, dili na pwede sa manila.” When I heard those words, I cried and said “unsa diay gusto nimo, diri lng ko sa mintal hantud matigulang ko?” I answered him back that way coz I was a bit upset he didn’t give me his blessing. I didn't listen to what he said and just went on with my plans. I strived hard to prove to him that I can stand on my own and I’ll succeed. I was actually challenged when he said that and I realized later on that that was his way of making us responsible for everything.


He was a disciplinarian, very strict, yet a very good teacher and trainer. He will always be my disciplinarian. I had always cried everytime we had an argument but he really made me stronger. You will always be inside our hearts and we will never forget how good you were to us. Thank you Pa.

0 comments: